Mobile devices aren’t going away anytime soon. In fact, mobile browsing has become an integral part of our everyday lives. According to Internet research firm ComScore, mobile users will eclipse desktop users by 2014.
In the age of smartphones and tablets, most business owners understandably want to create mobile versions of their websites. But for web designers, it has become challenging to keep up with all of the devices and screen resolutions out there. Creating one design for the Blackberry, another for the iPhone, and yet another for the Kindle just isn’t practical or cost-effective anymore.
Responsive Web Design: A Viable Alternative to Mobile Web Design
Today’s web designers must create mobile websites that are compatible with more browsers, devices, and input modes than ever before. One way to ensure that your designs respond to each device appropriately is through the use of a technique known as responsive web design.
Responsive web design is an approach to design and development that symbolizes the shift that’s currently taking place in the web design world. Responsive websites automatically respond to a user’s screen size, platform, and orientation. Therefore, the website doesn’t have to be redesigned for every gadget that comes along and can be viewed optimally on all types of devices. Responsive web design consists of the following core elements:
- Fluid grids and layouts – Generally, websites have fixed width layouts, but in responsive web design, fluid grids and layouts that shrink and expand with the page are used.
- Flexible images – Flexible images do not have a fixed width. Responsive websites detect a visitor’s screen size and automatically deliver re-scaled versions of an image.
- CSS media queries – Media queries in CSS3 allow you to gather data about site visitors and apply CSS styles that target particular devices and their physical characteristics.
Creating websites that are responsive to users is far easier than trying to design and code a custom website for every single type of device out there. Below are some of the most compelling advantages of responsive web design:
- A responsive website attracts more potential customers and drives sales because it is accessible to users 24/7, no matter what kind of device they are on.
- Responsive websites feature all of the same content and navigational features as desktop websites. On the contrary, standard mobile websites are typically spartan in appearance and lack the functionality of desktop websites.
- If you have a responsive website, visitors don’t have to be redirected to a separate mobile website, which can weigh the server down and slow your website’s load time.
- The cost of creating new apps or mobile websites for every type of device out there can quickly go through the roof. Responsive web design saves you money because it delivers an optimal user experience across various devices without requiring platform-specific websites and apps to be developed.
- Responsive web design may also give your business a competitive edge. Since it’s still a fairly new approach to web design and development, chances are, few of your competitors are using it.
Create an optimal user experience and maximize conversions and sales by building a website that displays appropriately across all browsers and devices. Using responsive web design techniques, Ocular’s talented web designers can craft a user-friendly website that drives ROI now and into the future. Contact us today for more information about our responsive web design services.